Telling the Hubby  

Sunday, June 1, 2008

I chose a subtle approach when I decided to tell my husband that I was ready to have a baby. Every man is different. Some welcome the idea of fatherhood with open arms, some are completely adverse to the idea until reality tells them they have no choice. My husband, he loves kids. I'm not just saying this to make him look good. He truly does love children.

No doubt he was ready to have a baby long ago. Of course without me on board he had no choice but to wait. He never pushed, he never even really mentioned it. In fact during the time I wasn't sure if I even wanted to have any he was cool with it. He always said, "If it's meant to be it will happen."

So telling my husband I was ready shouldn't have been scary... and yet it kind of was. It was like telling someone a very precious secret. Entrusting them with a knowledge that you had only come to own for a short time. Passing along a piece of information that would forever change the landscape of your life.

So we went on a date. We went to see a movie, Baby Mama. Coincidentally the name of this blog... yeah I know... I just couldn't help it. Then we went to look at ceiling fans for our house. He wanted to know what type of fan I wanted for my office (the room that will likely become the nursery) and in doing so he totally opened the door for me to start the "baby conversation."

Over the next couple of hours which included more ceiling fan shopping, dinner and gelato we talked through the idea of "trying to get pregnant." Needless to say we went home and practiced that night and I stopped taking my birth control pill.

So now it's really real. Next step... setting a family planning appointment with the OBGYN.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


0 comments: to “ Telling the Hubby