The Baby Cravings  

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Having been married almost five years and having recently gone through a spell where I wasn't even sure I wanted to have children, I have to say I was SHOCKED when I began having "baby cravings". Little tiny urgings to completely throw my life upside down and inside out.

The cravings came pretty intermittently for awhile... nothing too serious. Nothing to worry about. Then all of sudden something in my brain flipped upside down did a little dance and said... "you're not afraid of a baby. What's the big deal? It's a baby. People do it all the time... if they didn't we'd pretty much be extinct (the entire human race). You can do this... more importantly, you want to do this. I do? Oh yeah."

So when my head (and likely my hormones) were finished with this little conversation, I sat on it for awhile. Wanting to be sure. Buying a Coach bag, a pair of Sevens, a Tiffany bracelet... all of those things can be impulse decisions. Choices made in the blink of an eye, the swipe of a credit card... and if later you feel extreme buyers remorse (and guilt) you can return them if not used.

A baby. That's a different story. No need to be impulsive when there's a baby involved. I had deliberately waited. Deliberately dedicated myself to work for the first years of our marriage... and I'd gotten a long way. Couldn't go blazing down a new path without really thinking about it.

So after lots of thinking, a little internet searching and seeing babies everywhere I knew what I wanted... I wanted a baby, but I was going to need some help. It was time to tell the hubby.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


0 comments: to “ The Baby Cravings