Is My Blog Name Holding Me Back?  

Saturday, July 5, 2008

I read a great post this morning (the post was from June 19th... I'm a little behind on my reading) from Mommy Confessions. Mommy Confessions is a hilarious blog written by a mom named Michelle. She is a mother of three and shares confessions in her blog... fabulous confessions about the kinds of things I'm sure every woman thinks at one time or another... but doesn't always have the courage to say.

Michelle's post from June 19th "What's In A Name?" really got me to thinking about the name of my blog... The Baby Mama. When I first decided to blog about my journey to mommyhood the name The Baby Mama was fresh on my mind... my husband and I had just seen the movie and all I could think about was how much I wanted to be a baby's mama. My husband on the other hand felt like the negative connotation with "baby mama" could hold me back. As with most situations when someone tells me not to do something... I choose to forge ahead to prove them wrong. (I've been working on this compulsion my entire life... sometimes it's proved fruitful... other times, I really should have listened.)

Wikipedia defines a baby mama as a mother who is not married to her child's father. That's not me. Not me at all.

So now I'm starting to wonder... is he (my husband) right? Should I change the name of my blog? Or should I forge ahead believing in my instinct and hoping that once readers see my blog they'll love it? Have I given my blog a case of mistaken identity?

Right now I blog anonymously because I write for several other blogs as a professional and feel the need to keep my personal life and my public life separate. If the two worlds should collide someday do I really want my personal blog to have a name with a negative connotation? I'm pretty creative and have several ideas for other blog names... but while I've only been blogging on this site a little over a month... I've invested a lot of time and energy... would it be worth it to start from the beginning? Minus the graphics of course... I really do love the blogger girl and the bubbles.

What do you think? Stay the course or fresh start?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


2 comments: to “ Is My Blog Name Holding Me Back?